How to install Server 2016. Microsoft Windows Server 2016 is a sleek and fast server operating system that will be the foundation for our entire network.
This is a follow-up to the Downloading Server 2016 post, where I talk a little about the plans for future videos on Windows domains, etc.
I ended up getting a little frustrated after the install was complete, but I cut most of that out since it’s a result of me not having any exposure to the new Microsoft operating systems user interface, so I don’t know exactly where/how things work.
After using it for a short while, it’s fairly intuitive and makes sense, so you have to give it a chance.
How to Install Server 2016
Steps to Install Server 2016
- Assuming you downloaded the ISO, setup VirtualBox (or whatever VM software you are using) with a new VM.
- Attach the ISO to it’s CD drive and boot up the VM!
- Select Language and then click Next
- Select Install Now
- Select the version you want to install. For me, I want the GUI version. Then select Next.
- Read the License Terms and if you agree, click the checkbox and select Next.
- Select Custom: Install Windows Only (advanced).
- Select the drive/partition you want (should only be one visible) and select Next.
- The install process should look familiar if you ever installed any recent Microsoft Windows operating systems.
- When the install process is complete, you will be asked to create the Administrator password. Type in your password and click Finish.
- Then log in using the Administrator username and password.
- After a minute or so, you should be at your brand-new Windows Server 2012 machine.
- Make sure the timezone / time is set correctly. If it isn’t, go ahead and configure it.
- Next, set the server name by clicking on Local Server and then the current server name.
- Click Change.
- In the Computer Name field, type in whatever you want to name this server and click Ok.
- Restart the server.
- Pat yourself on the back for a job well-done!
Server Basics 2016 Series Navigation
- Tutorial #1: Downloading Windows Server 2016
- Tutorial #2: Install Server 2016 (this article)
- Tutorial #3: Setup Active Directory on Windows Server 2016
- Tutorial #4: OU Structure on Server 2016
- Tutorial #5: Create AD Users and Groups
- Tutorial #6: Setup DHCP Role on Server 2016
- Tutorial #7: Join Windows 10 to Domain – Server 2016
- Tutorial #8: (coming soon)